Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Yikes

Wow...so I received a call from my landlord tonight informing me that Pat and I have 2 weeks to clean out all of our stuff currently being stored in the basement. He has decided to convert the basement into another apartment. I don't mind all of this as much as I mind the timing and short notice. It is the last thing I want to be thinking about right now!

Our landlord suggested that we store all of our stuff in one of the rooms of the apartment. Clearly not an acceptable option. We have been making room for Grace for the last few months, I am not about to create upheaval by designating a room of our apartment to be used as a "storage" facility.

He then suggested a storage place about 20 blocks down the road. There are a few problems with that. First, during my brief maternity leave, I get half pay. Aside from various costs that the holidays and preparations for baby have required, my reduced salary also makes paying for storage less appealing. Second, I am the only one of the two of us who drives...and I can't lift any heavy objects now either. So, there's an issue of transporting things to a storage unit as well. Not to mention, finding a storage possibility within 2 weeks time. Strange...2 weeks...that coincides with Christmas...and my due date.

Needless to say, this has been quite an unfortunate and unexpected surprise. And I thought I might get a chance to relax before Grace came! That's looking more and more unlikely!

Ah well...it's a test of my multi-tasking abilities and my ability to remain calm in stressful situations. I have had a few such tests recently. I guess I haven't passed yet...so I keep getting retested! Maybe this time's the charm!

Warning to all family and friends- I love you and am thinking of you, but I really am not sure now if I will get to my Christmas cards. I apologize in advance if this is the case. I had every intention of doing so!!!

– Shana

No comments: