Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day

So my daughter and I voted in NYC for the first time. Voting here is a bit ridiculous. I never received notice of my polling place. I had to look it up online. They also don't send voters any information on what they will be voting on. Voters vote on this gigantic machine with a lever...I felt transported to the Twilight Zone. I seriously think NYC votes shouldn't count. The majority of voters are not informed at all...myself included. I will know better next time.

NYC also doesn't give out "I Voted" stickers. I didn't realize how important that would be to me. Not only does it make the voter feel a sense of accomplishment...but the stickers are a great visual reminder throughout the day for others to get their butts to the polls. I want my sticker.

I told Pat that I wasn't excited about the outcome of this election because I knew Obama would win. I have been sure of that since the primaries. Intuitive sense. I told Pat if Obama didn't win, then we were having a boy...because I had the same strong intuitive feeling about us having a daughter. Now we can rest easy knowing we don't have to come with a boy name.

November 4th was also our first birthing class at the hospital. It was okay. The nurse just talked a lot. I suppose I might have had a more positive experience had I had a chance to eat beforehand. I was so hungry that it was hard for me to concentrate!

So far most of the information has been pretty basic...though the nurse was really great at responding to questions and explaining her answers thoroughly. She had a quirky sense of humor which was fun. We also watched part of a video showing a birth...a very chill birth. It was unbelievably mellow actually. We were assured that we would see more birth videos and the others would be more typical of what we may experience.

All the other moms and dads there were first timers as well. Most due at the end of December or in January, though one mom was 35 weeks along already. I am not sure if she will make our last class!

Another positive...there was a bathroom inside the classroom. For a room of pregnant ladies, that was really a great thing. Yours truly was sitting right next to it. Easy access.

I think the birthing class will help Pat and I think through and talk about the birthing process. We can make sure we have a common understanding of what kind of birthing experience we want, who we would like present, how we plan to inform family and friends, etc.

That reminds me, the nurse confirmed my realization that NY women have c-sections far more frequently. I told Pat that c-sections seemed to be a "NY thing"...I've heard of so many women that schedule them, some for no other reason than to make it convenient. I come from CA, land of birthing centers and natural births, midwives and "Just Say No to Drugs". The nurse said 1 in 3 or 4 women in NY have c-sections. She was clearly of the opinion that a c-section should be the last resort (an opinion I appreciated).

– Shana

No comments: