Friday, September 5, 2008

A New York Paradox

So I am pretty pregnant looking now. I am in my 6th month (24 weeks) and my belly has popped out. I waddle, a little, and move more slowly up and down the subway stairs. Underwear aren't fitting, and even certain maternity items are a bit more snug.

A strange phenomenon has taken place. When I go somewhere to grab food or get groceries, I find that I am repeatedly addressed as "sweetie" or "sweetheart" now. Rather than the typical perfunctory "Next!" or "What can I do for yous?" I have been met with "What do you need sweetie?" Apparently pregnancy makes me look more sweet than before. The paradox lies in the fact that, though I am noticeably pregnant, I still have never been offered a seat on the subway. If I am on a crowded subway car, I stand just like everyone else as young, athletic people sit listening to iPods and ignoring everyone around them—the elderly, women with children, and pregnant folk like me.

There is one thing I have learned to appreciate here: I have not yet experienced strangers touching my belly. I know some people in California who had a problem with strangers touching their pregnant bellies. I guess New Yorkers are a bit more into keeping their personal space. In this case, I can't really complain about that. Hands off the belly. That's the way I like it.

- Shana

No comments: