Wednesday, June 27, 2012

An Eventful Day

Just wanted to share a day that was a bit tumultuous!

Yesterday, I had a 2 hour drive to attend a training for my new job. I have been leery of driving my 10-year old car and have been saying we really need to find a way to get a new one. I just didn't trust it. On the drive in, I even was thinking I should probably get AAA again since my job will require more driving. I arrived to my training in one piece and spent 7 hours there. Then on the drive back, my car was shaky. I was very scared, but didn't know what to do at 2 hours distance from home. So I continued to drive, hoping I would arrive safely home and could discuss with some of those in the know about cars whether I could ignore this problem (we are on a tight budget lately). I didn't get the chance! I crossed the PA state line and, at 70 mph (the car didn't shake if I took it to 70), heard a loud noise, felt the car drop a bit, and moved over to the only open side--the left shoulder. Now, at 7 months pregnant and having driven 1 1/2 hours without a pee break, my first concern was, "how am I going to go pee if I am stuck in the center of a freeway?" Ha! I checked the car and saw that my tire tread peeled off and my rear fender was hanging down. I called a tow truck, chatted with my mom for about 40 minutes until they arrived, then got a tow home. And a $108 charge. Guess I couldn't ignore the problem! At least I am safe. Thank goodness Grace wasn't in the car...and thank goodness the big rig behind me wasn't riding my tail when it happened!

Backing up a bit---before my car journey home, I also got a call from my doctor. Last Friday, I had to take a 4-hour glucose tolerance test. Yesterday, I also learned that the test results came back and I have gestational diabetes. And the day started so well! I keep thinking to myself, maybe the diagnosis is a good thing. I will need to meet with a dietician and hopefully, I will gain a better understanding of healthy eating habits for diabetics overall (which is important since diabetes runs on both sides--mine and Pat's). I just hope the baby will be okay and will arrive strong and healthy.

What a day, right?!

No comments: